Scientists Quiz Questions
- Who discovered radio waves?
- Who gave his name to a unit of radioactivity?
- Which 16th-century scientist proposed that the Earth orbited the Sun?
- Who is best known for his theory of black holes?
- On what did Otto Hahn, Lise Meitner and Fritz Strassman work?
- In which branch of mathematics was Hipparchus a pioneer?
- Which Baron of Largs gave his name to the degrees on the absolute scale?
- What does Hans Geiger’s Geiger counter detect?
- Whose process decarbonized iron?
- Which tracking device did Sir Robert Watson-Watt develop?
Round 1 Answers
- Stephen Hawking
- Nuclear Fission
- Atomic particles
- What did Crick, Watson and Wilkins determine the structure of?
- Who formulated a law of electromagnetism and pioneered techniques in. measuring electricity?
- Which French philosopher created analytical geometry?
- Which English chemist discovered the most elements?
- Which virus was Robert Gallo one of the first to identify?
- Which English physicist discovered the neutron?
- What type of bomb did Edward Teller develop?
- What sort of tube did William Crookes invent?
- Who gave his name to the law that states that the pressure of gas is proportional to its volume?
- Which physicist and chemist gave his name to the law of induction?
Round 2 Answers
- Hydrogen Bomb
- Cathode ray tube
- In terms of Nobel prizes, how did Marie Curie achieve two “firsts”?
- Which physicist who contributed to the development of Soviet nuclear weapons was also a civil rights campaigner?
- Which German-born rocket engineer worked on the space programme? Which aids to calculation did John Napier devise?
- Which two elements did the Curies discover?
- Leibniz’s calculating machine was the first to perform which function?
- Which word was Candolle the first to use in the classification of plants?
- For which measuring system did Joseph Louis Lagrange lay the foundations?
- Which Islands inspired Danlvin write “The Origin of Species”?
- For which Soviet development was Igor Kurchatov team leader?
Round 3 Answers
- First woman, the first person to receive it twice
- Andrei Sakharov
- Werner von Braun
- Polonium, radium
- The explosion of the atomic bomb