Round 1 Questions
- In 1854, an armed battle took place between gold miners and government troops at Ballarat in Australia. The miners stockaded themselves into a goldﬁeld which gave its name to this clash. By what name is this skirmish known?
- Which battle was fought on 25 October 1415?
- Which battle was fought on 18 June 1815?
- Who led his army to defeat the Romans at the battle of Cannae in 216 BC?
- What is the name of the stream which gave its name to two battles of the American Civil War, the ﬁrst in July 1861, the second in August 1862?
- Which battle, fought between 1 and 3 July 1863 was said to be the turning point of the American Civil War?
- Fought in September 1854, the battle of the Alma River took place during which war?
- What was the name of the escarpment in France successfully stormed by the Canadian Corps of the Brutal” army in 1917?
- Which year saw Nelson Mandela released from prison, Ayrton Senna become Formula One world champion, and Iraq invade Kuwait?
- In which year did Rock Hudson Die, Jose Sarney become Brazil’s first civilian president for 21 years and Reagan and Gorbachev meet in Geneva?
Round 1 Answers
- Eureka Stockade
- Crimean War
- Vimy Ridge
- In 1990
- In 1985
Round 2 Questions
- ‘Operation Market Garden’ was the code name for which major conﬂict of World War II?
- Name the victorious commander at the battle of the Nile in 1798.
- Who commanded the German forces at the Battle of the Bulge during World War ll?
- Name the battle of 1757 in which Robert Clive’s victory over the Nawab of Bengal made possible Britain’s acquisition of Bengal.
- Which port in the Italian region of Campania was the scene of heavy fighting following major allied landings in September 1943?
- Zachary was the first name of which US president?
- Which future US president was played by Henry Grace in the 1962 movie ‘The Longest Day’?
Which US president in his inaugural address said: “Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country”?
- Which 20th-century British soldier was known as ‘The Auk’?
- Which 19th century US president was given the nickname ‘American Caesar’?
Round 2 Answers
- Battle of Arnhem
- Horatio Nelson
- Von Rundstedt
- J. F. Kenedy
- Ulysses S Grant
Round 3 Questions
Who said: “Europe will never be like America. Europe is a product of history? America is a product of philosophy”?
What in 1647 did a wealthy Maryland landowner, Margaret Brent, unsuccessfully try to secure in the USA?
Which sport was dominated by Alice Marble from 1936-1940?
As who is Maria Eva Duarte better known?
- Which did Saint claim that the Virgin Mary had imported miraculous powers of healing to spring in Lourdes?
- Which writer wrote her ‘Hospital Sketches’ while serving as a nurse during the American Civil War?
- In the Bible, who was the Phoenician princess and wife of Ahab?
- Who was the ﬁrst woman to win a Nobel Prize?
- By what name is Cathrine ll of Russia better known?
- In which country was Marie Antoinette born?
Round 3 Answers
- Margaret Thatcher
- Votes for women
- Eva Peron
- Louisa May Alcott
- Marie Curie
- The Great