Skip to content
Ballet and Opera Quiz Questions
- Which country is Kiri Te Kanawa from?
- What are the Christian names of the three tenors?
- Which German composer’s only opera was “Fidelio”?
- Which Gilbert and Sullivan’s opera is set in the Tower of London?
- Which composer from East Anglia wrote the opera “Peter Grimes”?
- What was the nationality of ballet composer Aaron Copland?
- What was the name of Gounod’s opera based on Doctor Faustus?
- How did Leha’r describe the Widow in his operetta?
- Who wrote “Madame Butterfly” and “La Boheme”?
- Which opera does “Nessun Dorma” come from?
Round 1 Answers
- New Zealand
- Placido ( Domingo), Jose (Carreras) and Luciano ( Pavarotti)
- The Yeomen of the Guard
- Benjamin Britten
- Which work did the Who call a rock opera?
- Where was the Barber from in the title of Rossini’s opera?
- How is Kurt Weill’s “Die Dreigroschenoper” better known?
- What does an operetta have which an opera usually doesn’t?
- Which Russian dancer gave his name to a famous racehorse?
- Who wrote the ballets “Swan Lake” and “The Nutcracker”?
- Which surname is shared by composers Johann and Richard?
- What was the profession of Frederick Ashton?
- Which controversial dancer died when her scarf caught in the wheels of her sports car?
- What is the religious equivalent of opera without costumes and scenery?
Round 2 Answers
- The Threepenny Opera
- Spoken dialogue
- Isadora Duncan
- Which Russian ballerina gave her name to a meringue dessert?
- Who was Margot Fonteyn’s most famous dancing partner?
- Which 2005 ballet was based on a Tim Burton/Johnny Depp film?
- What is the nationality of Alicia Markova?
- For which sporting event was “Nessun Dorma” a TV theme tune?
- What is Lesley Garrett’s home county?
- Which Italian composer’s English name would be Joseph Green?
- Which Russian-born composer wrote “The Rite of Spring”?
- In ballet what is a jete’?
- Which ballet, based on a classic children’s book, had its world premiere in 2011?
Round 3 Answers
- Rudolf Nureyev
- Edvard Scissorhands
- 1990 World Cup
- Giuseppe Verdi
- Alice Adventure’s in Wonderland